Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kendo V - Getting to Know Sensei

   My first class in "real" clothes! I showed up in my sportswear, just in case, but the mother showed up a few minutes after me, so I was able to change quickly before I got there.

   I got confused when I was trying to tie the knot in front; my fingers kept trying to tie a bow-style knot, like I used in aikido, and I couldn't remember what exactly sensei did at the previous practice! I asked some of the children, but they didn't really have any clue, either; apparently their mothers helped them dress at home.

   Finally, one of the older students showed up and showed me how to do it; I realized that it was just a square knot! All that grief for nothing!

   It was a challenge learning to sit in seiza and clean properly wearing the hakama... but of course, I was absolutely thrilled!

   Practice was much the same; I felt that I really needed it, too. Sensei had been telling me basic information for the last few practices, and this was my chance to try to pull it all together and use it consistently -- not that I hadn't been doing that before!

   There was a guest, as well; another high-ranking kenshi that was a friend of sensei's. At one point, he pulled me aside and told me that I needed to start using kiai; I hadn't been using it because I was concentrating so much on what to do... and also, it makes me self-conscious!

   However, after he pointed it out, I started trying, and gained some more self-confidence when I realized that nobody was looking at me twice for it. Sensei even started some special kiai practice with us, where we'd stand in front of him and kiai until he felt it was good enough for us to strike.

   The guest sensei watched us all and was kind enough to take me aside again when sensei was busy and give me advice on the grip toward the end of class. I was really excited, because it was starting to feel right, but unfortunately, class was ending, so I didn't get much of a chance to practice it.

   We had an incredibly long talk after class about languages; I found out that sensei is fluent in Chinese because he occasionally travels abroad to teach at other dojos in China and Europe, though he hasn't been to America yet. We joked that he should try going to America sometime; as a nanadan (seventh-degree black belt, the highest achievable being eighth), I'm sure he would be welcomed.

   He also revealed that he had tried for hachidan (eighth degree) four times, but didn't pass, though he intends to keep trying. I find it absolutely astonishing how good his physical condition is even though he's 70 years old! Apparently he has a problem with his arm; it was broken and healed unevenly at some point, so he can't extend it straight.

No comments: