Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Blisters

   I try to practice almost every day, so of course I've been tearing up my feet. I seem to practice so often (or perhaps hardwood floors are just hard on my feet) that blisters form and pop within the same practice session.

   So far I have two on the ball of my left foot, which I use all the time for most of my weight when I stand properly. One is from last week, and the other is from tonight. I had a sickening feeling when I felt my foot squelching and sticking to the floor slightly. Of course, I couldn't resist looking; when I looked, it looked pretty bad -- a large flap of white skin hanging over a huge red spot. Well, at least I knew I hadn't stepped in something.

   It's funny; it didn't start hurting all that much until I looked at it... I kept practicing normally despite seeing it and it started hurting even worse, to the point where I couldn't force myself to stand on it and even sensei noticed.

   We all agreed that it's okay since I'm young and will heal quickly.

   There's another one forming on the bottom of my right big toe; I somehow managed to avoid it popping, though it seems like it's inevitable. It's a huge one that covers the entire bottom of my right big toe, so I'm not looking forward to that. That blister probably comes from doing fumikomi improperly.

   I haven't gotten any on my hands yet, so that's a minor blessing. I wish I had longer fingers...

No comments: