Monday, October 20, 2008

Competition

   One thing about kendo in Japan is that it's kind of like little league in America; if anyone's going to do it, they generally start it when they're a kid. Adults are decidedly at a disadvantage on that front.

   Because of that, the dojo I'm a part of is all kids, so the tournaments and various events are aimed at kids. I can't help but wonder what I'm going to do -- all of the older people that have come to visit are way above me... and all of the kids are, well, kids. The brackets are broken up into lower-elementary, upper-elementary, and junior high school.

   I'm not sure what exactly happens that causes junior high kids not to attend classes at the dojo -- perhaps the stress of entrance exams for high school or the availability of a kendo club (every day, including Saturday!) at school. Once they go on to high school, they just get busier, and the high schools have kendo clubs as well.

   Regardless of the reason, there just don't seem to be many beginners that aren't young. I gather that this isn't such a problem overseas.

No comments: